11.03.2011

Spaghetti with Squash

By Stephanie

If you have never had spaghetti with squash before…you are not alone.  I never had either…until the other day.   I have a few butternut squashes, mostly to make puree to make pumpkin things.  Yes, butternut is mostly what you get in “canned pumpkin”, did you know??  And my friend Kathy is going vegan.  Just for 28 days.  And so I thought I should incorporate one or two at least vegetarian dishes to our diet.  I did end up adding some shrimp (which I cooked separately) and parmesan cheese, but it would have been great without.

  I served this to my friends.  I USUALLY try dishes first, but didn’t.  So I was really hoping it would turn out.  Otherwise we were going to have corndogs with the kidos.   But it turned out great.  My inspiration was a recipe by Giada De Laurentiis.  

PB018906-1

 

Spaghetti with Squash

serves 6-8

1/4 cup oil

1 large shallot, chopped fine

1/2 onion, chopped fine

2 cloves garlic

2 tsp Italian seasonings

salt and pepper

1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1” cubes

1 small delicata squash, also cut into 1” pieces (the original recipe called for eggplant)

2 cups chicken broth

1 1/4 cup white wine (I was out so just used more chicken stock)

17.5 oz spaghetti or linguine

In large non-stick skillet heat oil over medium heat (you need a really big pan for this).  Add shallot, onion and salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Add in garlic and seasonings, cook about 1 minutes.  Add in squashes and cook 8-10 minutes.  Add in broth and wine turn to low heat and let simmer about 10 minutes until squash is fork tender.  In large pot cook pasta in salted water just until al dente.  When done add pasta to pot with squash.  Toss pasta to coat with sauce.  Turn off heat and put lid on and let pasta finish cooking and absorb sauce.  Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment