10.03.2011

Blackberries

By Stephanie

So I made the berry crumble that I had posted before.  I used rhubarb and strawberry before.  This time I used blackberries.  Blackberries grow wild up here.  There are kind of a pain to pick..literally.  They have lots of thorns and I also got into some stinging nettle…fun.  But, I ended up with enough for a small batch of jam, two pies, this crisp and enough to make two more pies or crisp in the freezer.  Yay!

Instead of the pepper, I used cardamom and about 1 tsp nutmeg and the full amount of pine nuts.  It was AMAZING.  Even my 12 year old said it was one of my top 5 desserts.  Which is saying something since we have dessert all the time!!

P9268850-1

 

Berry Crumble

Serves 8-12

for crumble

1 1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup pine nuts (I could only afford 1/2 cup so that is what I used)

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup sugar

1 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp cardamom

2/3 cup butter, melted

In large mixing bowl mix everything but butter.  Stir to combine.  Add in butter and mix until all flour is wet and combined.  Press down into bowl and put in freezer while you make the berry part.

4 cups blackberries, washed

1 cup sugar

2 Tbsp flour

Put berries  in greased 9X13 pan.  Combine sugar and flour.  Sprinkle over berry mixture and toss to coat.  Then get crumble mixture out of freezer and drop in clumps onto berries  leaving some clumps big and others little.  Put into 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes until fruit is bubbling and top is golden and crisp. 

Serve warm with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream or sweetened whip cream

No comments:

Post a Comment