6.20.2011

Berry Crumble

by Stephanie

So at my ladies lunch my friend Emily served us this dessert.  I was DYING.  It was SO good!!  And all week I was craving it again.  So I make it.  And I was thrilled when my kids didn’t LOVE it.  More for me!  This is not a really sweet dessert.  It has black pepper and I added nutmeg, it was savory, tart, crunchy and sweet.  PERFECTION.

She originally got her recipe from 101 Cookbooks.  I had never been to her site…love, love, love it!!  There are now about a dozen must try recipes from her site.  Although she has some items I have never heard of.  Maybe time for a new adventure in the kitchen.

I LOVE that it has pine nuts.  I have a kido that has tree nut allergies.  It’s such a bummer because otherwise I would put nuts in about everything.  I am NOT kidding. I LOVE nuts.  I never thought about substituting pine nuts.  They are NOT a cheaper option.  But she is not allergic to it, so for me it works out great.  I think I am going to try them in cookies and other things that I use walnuts, pecans or almonds in.  As soon as I find a cheap place to buy them….

P6138566

Berry Crumble

Serves 8-12

for crumble

1 1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup pine nuts (I could only afford 1/2 cup so that is what I used)

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup sugar

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp black pepper

2/3 cup butter, melted

In large mixing bowl mix everything but butter.  Stir to combine.  Add in butter and mix until all flour is wet and combined.  Press down into bowl and put in freezer while you make the berry part.

2 lbs. strawberries cut into 1/2 inch pieces

3 medium stocks of rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 cup raspberries

1 cup sugar

2 Tbsp cornstarch

Put berries and rhubarb in greased 9X13 pan.  Combine sugar and cornstarch.  Sprinkle over berry mixture and toss to coat.  Then get crumble mixture out of freezer and drop in clumps onto berries  leaving some clumps big and others little.  Put into 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes until fruit is bubbling and top is golden and crisp. 

Serve warm with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream or sweetened whip cream. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment