6.27.2011

Rhubarb Pie

By Stephanie

After making the rhubarb crisp, I was still craving rhubarb.  They had some really great looking stocks at the farmers market, so I got some more.  Then I went searching.  I found this great recipe that came from a late 1930’s cookbook.  If you didn’t know I am OBSESSED with old recipes.  Especially ones from the 30’s and 40’s.  I think it is a time when they used what they had, cooked seasonally and creatively.  It turned out a bit sweeter than I expected, but I would totally make it again.  And all my kidos but one really liked it. 

P6218636

Rhubarb Pie

Serves 10-12

Your Favorite Pie Crust Recipe (for a double crust pie)

2 egg yolks

1 cup sugar

3 Tbsp flour-plus one more

4 cups rhubarb

Take egg yolks and put into large mixing bowl.  Add in sugar and flour.  Mix with wooden spoon until completely combined.  Add in rhubarb.  (I only had 3 1/2 cups so I actually added in one apple, peeled and cut fine).  Toss.  Roll out bottom crust and put into pie plate.  Sprinkle one Tbsp flour on bottom crust.  Pour in rhubarb mixture.  Roll out top crust and place on top of pie.  Trim crust down and fold top crust over bottom and crimp edges.    take sharp small knife and cut vent holes in top crust.  Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.  Then turn down to 350 degrees and cook for 30-40 minutes more until crust is golden and you can see fruit bubbling through vents.  Cool completely so fruit will set.  Otherwise juices will spill out and make soggy crust (yuck!).    Serve with sweetened whip cream or ice cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment