6.15.2011

Salted Caramel Sauce

By Stephanie

I needed a “thank you” gift for my kids teachers (yes, they ARE still in school, not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet). Anywoo..I gave them a pretty generous Christmas gift so something smaller was fine.  I was going to bake….then it hit me.  Salted Caramel Sauce.  I mean who doesn’t love a great caramel sauce and I love the sweet and salty thing.  And it’s great on popcorn, brownies, ice cream, whatever you want.  This is SUPER easy.  Really the kids COULD do it, but they were already at school.  So I did it.  And you can easily adjust to make a little or a whole lot. 

P6148571

Salted Caramel Sauce

Makes 1 cup

1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (I used the homemade stuff)

1/4 cup brown sugar (I prefer dark)

1/4 cup light karo syrup-light corn syrup

1/4 cup butter (I recommend the real thing)

1/2 tsp salt (yes I use the regular stuff, but whatever kind you have is fine, probably better than mine)

Put everything but salt in large microwave proof bowl.  Put into microwave on high one minute.  Stir to melt butter.  Put in for another 1-2 1/2 minutes stopping every 30 seconds to stir until sugar is dissolved and caramel texture.  Do NOT overcook.  You will end up with caramel instead of just caramel sauce.  Add in salt and stir.  Keep in fridge.  To use later reheat in microwave 15-30 seconds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment