6.13.2011

Crème Brule French Toast

by Stephanie

Okay, so along with my fabulous brunch I HAD to make this.  My darling friend Anna gave me the recipe and every time I make it I wonder why I don’t make it more.  Then I look at my thighs in the mirror and answer that “why”.  But it is fabulous.  And make ahead.  And no need for syrup, it bakes in it’s own “sauce”. 

P6028557

Crème Brule French Toast

Serves 6-8

In microwave proof bowl put in 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, and 2 Tbsp corn syrup.  Microwave on high 30 seconds or just until butter melts.  Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Pour into the bottom of a well greased cookie sheet. 

   In large mixing bowl combine 5 eggs, 1 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla.  Beat well until eggs are fully incorporated.  Slice one loaf of French bread (I actually used my homemade bread) and lay slices on top of sugar butter mixture.  Pour egg/milk mixture over bread and put in fridge overnight.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cook for 30 minutes.  Serve warm and flip bread onto plate since caramel syrup is on bottom of pan.  I cooked mine a bit long so it’s more caramel than syrup…I like it this way with the crusty edges.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment