2.15.2011

Rise To The Occasion-My Fav Bread Recipe

By Stephanie

So, if you don’t already know, the kind of yeast you use makes a big difference.  I have been using the active dry for a while.  I ran out and so I got a quick rise, not realizing the difference.  I used the same recipe I have for well over a year, but I was on the phone and didn’t check it.  And here is what I ended up with……

P2098146

Not that I am complaining…just more room for butter and jam.  Just not what I expected. 

Here is how it usually looks….

P8166887

I love this recipe.  Next time I will put it in three pans not two.  And I figured out a while ago this it about $0.60 a loaf.  It really isn’t that hard and it tastes super yummy.   

OH I ALMOST FORGOT!!  A friend here told me about coconut oil.  It helps with making sure the bread won’t mold.  In the dessert, that was never an issue, but here it has been.  So I am trying it today!  I will let you know.  It does smell nice, we will see if it effects the flavor at all.  I am just using it in the place of the oil called for.

  I adapted my recipe from this one I found on the web.  My mixer won’t make this much (I SO want a Bosch!!)  Anyway, here is my version…

My Favorite Bread Recipe (makes 3 loaves)

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/3 cup vital wheat gluten (VERY IMPORTANT!)

1 1/2 Tbsp instant yeast (if you use active dry this will only make 2 loaves)

2 1/2 cups warm water

Put into mixer (or bowl) and mix all together.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Then add:

1/3 cup oil (any kind including shortening works)

1/3 cup sugar or honey

1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 Tbsp. salt

2-3 cups white flour

Mix until dough pulls away from sides.

See here…

P2078123 

Then divide into three loaves and put into greased loaf pans.  Put into oven (NOT turned on) for 45 minutes.  Then without taking pans out, turn oven to 350 degrees and bake for 35 minutes.  I can smell mine now (literally!!).  ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I have another blog to read! That bread looks yummy! My bread is never consistently good, so I will have to try your recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete