2.28.2011

Not so Vegan Cupcakes

By Stephanie

I am REALLY late to get on the cupcake wagon.  I know, I know.  But March is the month when most of our birthdays happen.  And the school district here lets us bring in homemade stuff…for now anyway.  So for my son’s birthday I asked him what he wanted me to bring in.  We threw around a few ideas, but settled on good ol’ cupcakes.  Then I went to a friends party for her daughter where she had made cupcakes.  They were really great!  And from a vegan cookbook.  I am not vegan.  There is nothing wrong with being vegan.   But I’m not.  So I used her cookbook and we baked four different kinds.  All really yummy.  So here is my non-vegan cupcakes.  Based on the recipes from this book.  I LOVE that they only make 12.  This way I got to try several different flavors without being stuck with 3 dozen of each.  Not that that is a BAD thing…I just like to try a few different ones without a 36 cake commitment.  I think my favs are the coconut lime…so far.  But they are the only ones I have really tried yet. 

P2288296

Coconut Lime Cupcakes

Makes 12

1/3 cup coconut oil

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla

Melt coconut oil over low heat or on low setting in microwave.  Don’t get too hot.  Let cool until warm and add in other ingredients.  Set aside.

In separate bowl combine:

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 Tbsp. lime zest (about 2 limes)

1/4 tsp salt

Mix with a whisk to get out any lumps.  Add in wet ingredience and just mix to get out lumps add in 1 cup coconut (it calls for unsweetened but I had sweetened, so that is what I used).  Put into 12 cupcake liners and cook at 350 degrees for 23-25 minutes.  Cool COMPLETELY before frosting. 

Lime Buttercream Frosting

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup butter (room temp)

1 tsp vanilla

juice from one lime (about 3 T)

1 tsp lime zest

1 3/4 cups powdered sugar

Cream butter and oil.  And in all other ingredients.  Mix till fluffy and combined.  Just enough for 12 cupcakes.  Top with more sweetened coconut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment