10.27.2011

Pumpkin Bread

By Stephanie

The flavor of the week is……..

P U M P K I N!!!

I went to the pumpkin patch with my youngest kido and her preschool.  I bought my first sweet pumpkin.  I took it home and cut it up (saving the seeds of course, I am not wasting anything!).  Then I pricked each piece and put it into a large bowl with 1 Tbsp of water and covered with clear plastic wrap.  Then microwave on high between 8-12 minutes each pieces.  When done set aside to cool.  The skin will peel right off.  Then blend or process to make puree.  I had a small pumpkin and it made 4-5 cups puree.  Not bad and WAY cheaper than buying it in a can.  And yes, you can use butternut squash instead.  Sugar pumpkin smells and tastes exactly the same!!

Now you have do decide what to make.  Regular pumpkin pie is not my favorite.  I love my pumpkin cookies.  But I wanted to do something different.  You HAVE to try this.  I would have loaded it up with nuts….but kido with nut allergy stopped me.  But you go ahead.  Or craisins would be a nice add.  You can add a handful of chocolate chips, but I am also not a fan of chocolate and pumpkin (I know, I am probably the only one!!)   This makes two loafs.  But only eat one….wait till I show you what you can do with the second loaf….

  PA268896-1

Pumpkin Bread:

1 C butter, softened

3 c sugar

3 eggs

1 16 oz can pumpkin

3 c flour

1 Tbsp  baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda 

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg (or I used 4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice)

Cream together sugar and butter.  Add eggs one at a time.  Once eggs are in beat on high for 2-3 minutes scraping down the sides of the bowl.  Add pumpkin.  Mix dry ingredients together.  Add in slowly just till combined.  Pour into two regular loaf pans (greased) and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment