5.17.2011

Pumpkin Cookies

By Stephanie

My kiddos had a bake sale for their choir at school.  I made 4 dozen cinnamon rolls and a few trays of pumpkin cookies.  I know, I know, it isn’t fall.  But these remind me of fall.  And they were a hit at the bake sale.  I actually made some of them bigger and flatter and put two together with the buttercream frosting and substituted maple for the vanilla and they made a pumpkin whoopie pie.  (Kind of brilliant…I know)

This recipe came from my friend Holly.  When she brought them over for the first time we were just getting the kids in bed.  Now my hubby isn’t a big dessert guy.  So I figured they were fine till morning.   Uhhh, no.  He ate one, then another, and another (all unknown to me) until they were…GONE.  The next morning he didn’t feel so good.  Duh…

He said they are like crack.  You eat one and think “these are okay”.  They you start thinking about them and another sounds really good.  And you eat another one, and it’s better than the first.  Repeat.  Until they are all gone and you don’t feel so good. 

Only make these if you have people coming over so you can share…

and not eat them all…by your self.  Or do, whatever.

P4228435

Pumpkin Cookies

Makes 24 cookies

1/2 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

pinch of salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp lemon juice

Cream shortening and sugar.  Blend in egg and pumpkin.  In separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and spice.  Add to wet ingredients.  Dough will be sticky.  Drop by tablespoons onto greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  When cool top with maple frosting.

Maple frosting: 1/4 cup butter (softened), 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp. milk and 1/2 tsp maple flavoring.  Stir to combine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment