8.13.2013

Corn Cakes

 

Okay, food is a big deal at our house.  Avery needs to eat as much as possible, Payton needs to watch her carbs (both for too high and too low) and Nathan needs to slow down.  Seriously.  How much can a 14 year old eat??  Don’t answer that….

Anyway, I found something similar on Pinterest….love Pinterest, but I wasn’t found of the fact it was only white flour.  Too many carbs.  So I took out my trusty Better Homes and Gardens red and white and found a corn fritter recipe.  It was close to what I was looking for and I added a few things and voila…a pretty good dinner.  Actually this would make a fantastic brunch, or yummy quick lunch.  It works for just about anytime.  And I KNOW it sounds weird to put syrup on it.  But trust me, SUPER yummy.  You CAN do just butter, if you want.  But it’s not as good.

I doubled the recipe.  I have a 14 yr old boy to feed.  So if you more than four mouths to feed I recommend you do the same.

P8129636

Corn Cakes

Makes 6-8 cakes

8 slices bacon cut into 1/4” pieces

1/2 onion diced (I used white, but green would be awesome)

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup corn meal

2 tsp. baking powder

1 cup corn (frozen or canned works)

1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese

1 cup milk

1 beaten egg

In a cold skillet, put in bacon.  Turn heat on low and start to cook, stirring every few minutes.  When fat starts to melt off and bacon is about half way cooked, add in onion.  Continue cooking bacon until crisp and bacon and onion is translucent.  Take off heat and let bacon cool (I put it in a bowl to cool faster).

In a large mixing bowl add in flour, corn meal and baking powder.  Stir.  Add in milk and egg.  Stir to just combined.  Then add in corn, cheese, bacon and onion.  Stir again.  On hot skillet cook like regular pancakes (about 1/2 cup batter at a time). 

Serve with buttermilk syrup, regular syrup, or the way I did was add in blueberries to the buttermilk syrup.  It was SSSSOOOO good.  Not kidding. 

Even ALL the kidos ate it too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment