12.02.2011

Cranberry Apple Walnut Pie

By Stephanie

  This pie tastes to me like Christmas.  Not too sweet, crunchy and spicey too.  I got this recipe in a BH&G Simply Perfect Holiday Baking in 2003. I have never seen a recipe since that compares.  It’s my FAVORITE pie.  It’s the reason I buy extra cranberries and freeze them.  So in Januray, when cranberries are no longer in the store, I can still make this pie.

If you have or your kids has (like mine) nut allergies, I have been substituting pine nuts for the walnuts.  They are VERY expensive, but she isn’t allergic.  I have also used pecans, but in this walnuts are the best!

   The other pie in the pic is a caramel apple pie.  Just use my caramel sauce recipe and layer with apples.  I did a lattice top and drizzled more caramel.  It got crunchy and delic!

PB248956-1

Cranberry Apple Pie

Serves 8-10 (This is for a 9” deep dish pie)

Your favorite pie crust recipe

6-8 granny smith apples, quarter and peeled then graded

12 oz cranberries

1 Tbsp orange zest

1/2 cup sugar

3 Tbsp flour

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/3 cup maple syrup (I have left this out and it’s still great)

1/2 cup walnuts

I use my food processor and grate the apples.  Take out and set aside in a large bowl.  Into food processor put in everything else.  Pulse a few times until cranberries and nuts are in 1/2” peices.  Pour mixture into apples and toss.  Put into unbaked pie crust.  Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.  Then make topping.  In food processor combine 3/4 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 tsp salt.  Pulse two or three times.  Then add in 1/3 cup cold butter cut into small cubes.  Pulse until resembles course crumbs.  Take out pie and spread on top.  Turn down oven to 350 degrees and cook for 50 minutes more or until fruit bubbles up.  Cook at least two hours.  I suggest overnight.  When you cut a hot pie the juices will run into the crust and make it soggy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment