12.29.2011

Frozen Cranberry Salad

By Stephanie

 

I am warning you…this stuff is addicting!  I love the sweet and the tartness of it.  And of course super non-low fat.  Just what you need at the holidays.  But hurry and make it so you can eat it before you start your diet Jan. 1st!!  And before the fresh cranberries are no longer available.  I made the mistake a few years ago of trying to find fresh cranberries after New Year’s.  It was a sad, sad day!  I now buy a few extra and stick in the freezer so in March, when I get a craving for this salad, I can still have it!

 

PC179042

Frozen Cranberry Salad

serves 6-8

1 package whole fresh cranberries

2 apples (any kind, but I like granny smith)

1 cup sugar

2 cups mini marshmallows

1 cup nuts (I LOVE walnuts, but kido with allergy so usually I use pecans, but use what you’ve got)

1 pint whipping cream

1 tsp vanilla

Quarter and core apples.  Put in food processor with cranberries and sugar.  Pulse until fruit is in 1/2 chunks.   Add in marshmallows and nuts and pulse 2-3 more times.  In separate large bowl whip whipping cream to soft peaks.  Add in vanilla to cream.  Gently fold in apple/cranberry mixture.  Line 9X13 pan with tin foil and then plastic wrap leaving enough hanging over the edges to fold to cover the salad completely.  Pour mixture into lined pan.  Fold plastic wrap and then tin foil over.   Put in the freezer for 1 hour.  Take out and score with knife for serving size pieces (you don’t have to do this, but it makes it MUCH easier to get out once it is completely frozen).  Put back in the freezer for 2 hours or overnight.  TRY not to eat it all in one sitting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment