7.13.2011

Italian Beef Sandwiches

by Stephanie
I don’t know about you but I have spent years, literally years, making dry and tasteless roasts.  Until about 2 years ago.  First I am not cooking it long enough.  It needs LONG and SLOW.  Crock pot is great for this.  Second, I was buying the wrong kind of roast.  My FAV is the chuck roast.  Bone in if possible.  Chuck steak works too, but for your crock pot to be effective you need to fill it over 1/2 full but not more than 3/4.  This freezes SO well.  Buy your roasts on sale and cook them all up.  Freeze enough for one or two more meals. 
This had a kido version and an adult version.  The adult version is a copy cat of one of my favs from Vegas.  If you ever get to Vegas or St. George, Ut look up Capriotti'sThe Slaw-be-jo is to DYE for.  But since I live at least 20 hours away…I had to make my own.  Pretty close if I do say so.
This is perfect for a hot summer day.  And if you are lucky enough to live in 100 degree + weather, here is tip from my friend Anna.   Put the crock pot outside.  That way it won’t heat up the house.  Obviously here, that isn’t applicable.  I don’t care if you heat my house from 69 degrees to 72.  Still not taking off my jacket.
Oh and did you know, your crock pot (aka slow cooker) uses 100th the energy of your oven?   Perfect for saving money on energy bill too.
Adult Version:
P6308659
Kido Version:
P6308657
Italian Beef Sandwiches
Serves 8
3 lb. Chuck Roast or Steak (if it is bone in 4 lb)
1 package Italian Dressing mix (just the mix-NOT make into dressing)
Put in crock pot for 10 hours on low.  Shred beef and take out any chucks of fat but leave juices in.  Toast 8 hoagie style buns.  Top with favorite Cole slaw, provolone cheese and  thousand island dressing for adult version.  For kidos just provolone and meat.  Take juices from pot and pour over meat or into bowl to dip sandwiches into. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder...I know what we're having for dinner now!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete