9.26.2011

Carrot Cake

by Stephanie

I know carrot cake is usually a spring thing, but my darling (and pregnant) friend made a super yummy one last week.  It was the Paula Deen recipe.  Always a good choice.  When I was telling my kidos about it, they mentioned that they had never had carrot cake.  And since we were having leftovers for dinner, I was a good mom and made them one.  Next time I will wait until we are having someone over for dinner.  I ended up throwing away about a quarter of the cake.  I HATE throwing away good food.  And as you can see I made mine in a 9X13 pan.  But it is prettier if it is in two round pans.  I also chopped the nuts and added when I served it..darn nut allergies (not mine, my daughters).

P9218844-2

Carrot Cake

Serves 12-15

Cake

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp cinnamon

3 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup buttermilk

2 tsp vanilla

2 cups fresh graded carrots

8 oz crushed pineapple

1/3 cup coconut

1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Combine flour, soda, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl.  In mixer combine eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth.  Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until blended.  Gently fold in carrot, pineapple, coconut and nuts (if adding).  Pour into 9X13 pan (or two 8 or 9 inch round pans) that are sprayed with non-stick spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes (it took me 35 minutes, but my oven is low).  Take out and let cool for 5 minutes while you prepare glaze.  Poke cake with knife to make holes for glaze.  Pour glaze over cake and let cool completely.  (if using round pans let cool 15 minutes then flip out onto wire rack to finish cooling).  Then ice with cream cheese frosting and top with chopped pecans.

Glaze

In medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup butter, bring to a soft boil.  Let boil for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla.  Pour over cake. 

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8 oz package cream cheese

1/2 cup butter softened

3 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment