9.28.2011

Homemade Ice Cream Base

By Stephanie

So I can’t take credit for this at all!  My niece is a great up and coming chef.  Any recipe I get from her is fabulous.  My sister-in-law told us about it when she came to visit and help with Avery.  This one requires some of your own creativity, or better yet, let your kids decide.  Or not. Whatever you want.  If you don’t have an ice cream maker, get one.  Make sure it is a 2 qt. size.  After attempting to make this I realized mine is caput.  So it’s on the list of things we need to get…at some point.  Make vanilla and top with my easy chocolate sauce, or my salted caramel sauce, toasted nuts or it is great plain.  Use your imagination to make up a new flavor profile.

P9178805

Homemade Ice Cream Base

2  14 oz. cans of sweetened condensed milk or for a recipe...click here

1 large package of instant vanilla pudding mix

1 pint heavy cream

2 tsp good vanilla, or insides of one vanilla bean

1 quart milk, plus some more if needed

In large bowl (I use my biggest Pyrex glass mixing bowl) it needs to be at least a 2 qt size, add in everything but milk.  And whisk to combine until pudding is dissolved.  Then add in milk.  If adding in other things add this time and pour into ice cream maker.  Add in more milk to 2qt. line.  Process as ice cream maker instructions. 

Suggestions:

1 cup crushed strawberries, blueberries or black berries,

2 cups crushed sandwich cookies along with 1/2 tsp peppermint extract,

3/4 liter of root beer or orange soda,

1 cup toasted coconut and assorted nuts like pecans, walnuts and almonds. 

Use your imagination!!

No comments:

Post a Comment