4.24.2012

Dresses

By Stephanie

For those of you who have teenagers, prom season is in FULL swing.  I read this post on facebook about a girl that was told to leave her prom in Provo, Utah for being immodest.  After further investigation, there are guidelines that the school and many others in Utah have regarding the dress standards for prom and got the story here from channel 4 news.

    If you seen the photo, her’s didn’t have straps and if it were my daughter, it looks short too.  And it paled in comparison to this amazing dress pic by my friend Melissa, a truly gifted photographer.

melissa jacks prom

While all the girls look beautiful, I was taken by the peach dress on the left.  It is completely modest and stunning at the same time.  She said she got it from Saks.  I can’t image the hours they spent finding a dress that flattered her and covered her in the right places.  But she did.  It is inspiring to know it CAN be done.  It won’t be too long before my three girls will be needing prom dresses.  My girls are suppose to be taller than me, and I already have a tough time finding dresses long enough.  So when it comes to proms, I have a feeling I am going to be spending a lot of time hovered over my Bernina (sewing machine for those who don’t know).   Actually, it’s the main reason I have been honing my sewing skills.

   I wanted to make a dress that stretched my skills further than they had before in anticipation of those upcoming years.  I found this great dress in Polyvore.

purple dress

The dress is from a company in the UK.  And when I measured, it was WAY to short me anyway. So instead of ordering it, I decided to make it!

  I took a pattern that I already had from this dress.  Then I made the alterations and ………..drum roll………….

Untitled

 

I choose to do a 3/4 length sleeve.  Mostly because I live where the temp. hardly reaches the 80’s.  I am always freezing.  I didn’t want to wear a sweater and cover up the ruffle and bow. 

Not too bad if I do say so myself.  I may not be able to replicate the gorgeous peach gown yet, but I am working on it!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful dress Stephanie! You are so talented! April

    ReplyDelete