4.26.2012

No Cook Oatmeal

By Stephanie

   I was on pinterest.  That site sucks me in for hours.  But I do find some great ideas.  Most of which I will never try. 

But some,

like this one…

oatmeal

from the yummy life blog.

I usually an not a fan of hiding things in your kids food.  I think that they should know that there are veges and good things in their food.  That way when you go out and they see cauliflower, they know they have tried it and will eat it. 

It doesn’t always work.

Even with my hubby.  In fact, he for YEARS didn’t know there was sour cream in sour cream enchiladas.  Once he found out, he now won’t eat them.  But I tell him I leave it out…he eats it.  As long as he doesn’t SEE it go it…he’s fine. 

I am desperately trying to get Avery to eat better.  Especially in the mornings.  I know she feel crumby, but I am trying….usually failing, but trying none the less.

So I decided to try the oatmeal.  Even though she hates regular oatmeal. 

OH, AND she got the thumbs up to add chocolate back in.  Even on her restricted days.  YAY!!

I made the chocolate and banana version.  It was really good!  I liked it and my younger two did also.  (Probably the chocolate).  Right now Avery can’t have bananas, but I let her have a bit.   She didn’t like the chew of the oatmeal.  And yes, I even added in the chia…DO NOT TELL HER!

Then I tried her smoothie version.  I used strawberries, cherry juice, aloe juice (tart like lime juice) the oatmeal and chia ground up.  Oh, and a bit of milk (I would use almond milk but Avery also has a tree nut allergy).  She really liked it.  YAY!  When you let it sit overnight the chia just get gel like and you don’t see them.  Grounding up the oatmeal and chia make it so she can’t see it.  

It was a bit tart.  I am going to try adding in cooked sweet potatoes.  A idea I got from my friend Jami.  Just until Avery can have bananas (or maybe after too).  We will see how she likes that one.  I will let you know. 

I am also going to ground up a cup or two of the oats and chia seeds and put in a baggie.  That way I can just mix everything in the jar, shake and put in the fridge the night before.  Quick and easy.

No cook oatmeal smoothie

1/4 cup oats (uncooked)

1 1/2 tsp chia seeds

put in blender and grind to powder.  Then add:

1 TBSP tart cherry juice

3 TBSP aloe juice

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup strawberries

Blend till smooth.  Then put in pint mason jar overnight.    

No comments:

Post a Comment