4.19.2011

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes

by Stephanie

I LOVE the combination of oats, whole wheat and regular flour.  You get a texture that is chewy, yet soft.  This recipe came from my friend Dawn.  Always good when it comes from her kitchen! 

We went to a local restaurant for my birthday brunch.  They had a similar pancake with bananas and coconut.  I tried making them at home, and really, I think mine are BETTER!  And for as long as we waited for our food (which wasn’t that long), I could make them for my whole family including the buttermilk syrup.  And for what I paid for one meal, I could feed us all.  BONUS!  Although it is nice to have someone else do the cleanup.  But that’s why we had kids right?  At least that is what we tell them…

P4098408

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes

Makes 10-12 pancakes

1/2 cup quick oats

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup brown sugar (I like dark brown best)

1 egg

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk plus 1 tsp vinegar and microwave for 30 seconds)

In large bowl combine oats, flours, soda, salt and sugar.  Mix to combine.  In smaller bowl whisk together egg, oil and buttermilk.  Add into dry ingredients and mix just until combined.  Let sit for a few minutes while griddle heats up.  Pour about 1/2 cup at a time to form pancakes on hot griddle.  When bubbles form and is golden brown flip it over to cook other side.  Batter will be thick so I spread it out with my spatula, otherwise they don’t cook through..yuck.  Enjoy with your favorite syrup.

Variations:  add in 1 tsp cinnamon, sliced bananas, chopped pecans, and/or shredded coconut.  I like all of them added in.  I add the coconut after you put it on the griddle before you flip it.  That way the coconut gets toasted as the second side cooks.  SO GOOD!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment